Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Rye Y Staff Member Swims New York Harbor

Most people would not volunteer to jump off a water taxi into the middle of New York Harbor, yet this is my idea of fun. I trust my enthusiasm was shared by all 209 finishers of the 6th annual Governors Island swim held on Sunday August 1st.   Run by NYC Swim, the race circles the island that lies between southern Manhattan and Brooklyn. Views of NYC landmarks such as The Statue of Liberty and The Brooklyn Bridge tempted me to just float and gawk rather than continue swimming.

Completing the 2 miles in approximately 1 hr and 8 min put me near the back of the pack, but that barely mattered. We were blessed with great weather and unexpectedly calm waters plus I had the chance to share the challenge with my brother and a friend.

Susan Pollak teaches Group Power at the Rye Y

2 comments:

bowsprite said...

congratulations!! I saw everyone jump in early in the morning. You did it!!!

Anonymous said...

I said you were awesome as a group power teacher. Now, you're double awesome. Way to go!! Paula